- Last Updated on 08:45 AM 12/23/09
- BY Staff
South Boston police suspect arson in a fire that destroyed the residence at 1718 Norwood Avenue Friday morning, Dec. 11, according to Investigator R. E. Redd.
The South Boston Fire Department received a call to a house fire at that address at approximately 6:45 Friday morning. When they arrived, firefighters found heavy smoke pouring from all sides and flames showing from the rear of the single-story wood frame house.
Police and fire officials learned there was no electrical service or any type of heating source in the residence at the time of the fire, Redd said.
After firefighters extinguished the blaze, investigators searched through the remains and collected items to be sent to the forensic lab in Richmond for analysis, Redd added.
The International Association of Arson Investigators-Virginia Chapter is offering a reward of up to $5,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for this incident, the investigator said. The insurance carrier is offering an additional reward of up to $1,000, he added.
Anyone with information about this fire is asked to contact Investigator Redd at 434-575-4271.
In other law enforcement matters, a 46-year-old Halifax man is facing four felony charges, according to sheriff’s office records.
• Bernard Lee Tucker of Dudley Road was charged with two counts each of felony attempted robbery and felony shoplifting.
The offenses allegedly occurred Nov. 29, and Sgt. Q. W. Clark served the warrants Thursday.
• Howard Anderson Yancey, 39, Red Bank Road, Virgilina, was charged with felony operating a motor vehicle by an habitual offender.
The offense allegedly occurred Sunday, and Deputy T. H. Clarke served the warrant that night.
• Willis Monroe Wells, 31, Mulberry Road, Nathalie, was charged with misdemeanor assault and battery.
The offense allegedly occurred Dec. 4, and Deputy C. S. Yeatts served the warrant Friday.
• Wykinnya Williams Holt, 30, Love Shop Trailer Park, South Boston, was charged with misdemeanor assault and battery.
The offense allegedly occurred Dec. 7, and Sgt. Clark served the warrant Thursday.
• Chrison Martel Polk, 39, Blue Rock Road, Vernon Hill, was charged with a misdemeanor count of recklessly handling a firearm.
The offense allegedly occurred Aug. 21, and Deputy Clarke served the warrant Friday.
• Kevin Eugene Davis, 39, Edinburgh Drive, Amherst, was charged with misdemeanor contempt of court.
The offense allegedly occurred Friday, and Deputy T. M. Boyd served the warrant the same day.
• Kevin Scott Parrish, 20, L.P. Bailey Memorial Highway, Nathalie, was charged with misdemeanor contempt of court.
The offense allegedly occurred Oct. 14, and Deputy Clarke served the warrant Friday.
• Daniel Keith Anderson, 18, Cedar Grove Road, South Boston, was charged with misdemeanor violation of the terms of his probation.
The offense allegedly occurred Aug. 31, and Cpl. P. C. Clayton served the warrant Thursday.
• Quinn Theadon Tucker, 22, Mallard Lane, South Boston, was charged with felony violating the terms of his probation.
The offense allegedly occurred Nov. 9, and Cpl. Clayton served the warrant Thursday.
• Roscoe Waller Jr. of Nathalie was served a capias for failure to appear in Halifax County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.
Halifax Police Officer S. M. Comer served the capias Sunday.