- Last Updated on 12:00 AM 03/02/12
- BY Staff
A 49-year-old Bland man pleaded guilty Thursday in Halifax County Circuit Court to a felony charge for assaulting a correctional officer. Jeffrey Curtis Earley pleaded guilty to the charge prior to a scheduled jury trial.
The guilty plea form calls for a sentence including a mandatory minimum term of six months for Earley when the defendant is sentenced in the March court term.
Earley was remanded to custody to await sentencing after his plea.
Other court cases
• Steven Bruce Buchanan, 39, of Halifax had four years of his previously suspended prison sentence revoked Monday for a probation violation.
The court ordered the defendant’s new time to run concurrently with time received in another jurisdiction.
• Elmer Lee Ferrell, 57, of Halifax had a show cause charge against him for a probation violation dismissed Monday.
• Berneal Edward Miller, 58, of South Boston had the court withdraw its finding of guilt against him Monday for driving as an habitual offender.
The commonwealth subsequently moved to nol pros the charge against Miller.
• Byron Scott Moore, 22, of Roxboro, N.C., had a capias charge against him for a probation violation nol prossed Monday upon a motion by the commonwealth.
• James F. Sibley, 25, of Myrtle Beach, S.C., withdrew his appeal in absentia Monday of a lower court ruling that found him guilty of refusing a blood test.
• Jamie Allen Seamster, 32, of Halifax had a charge against him for a probation violation dismissed Monday upon payment of court costs.
• Stewart Thomas Whitt, 41, of South Boston had misdemeanor charge against him for contempt of court nol prossed Monday upon a motion of the commonwealth.