- Last Updated on 12:22 PM 04/23/12
- BY Joe Chandler
Halifax County High School golfer Cody Spencer ran into tough sailing in Tuesday’s second round of the Virginia Group AAA State Golf Tournament at Laurel Hills Golf Course in Lorton.
After having been tied for second place after the first day, Spencer was one-over-par after the first 14 holes in Tuesday’s round. He ran into some trouble during the closing holes and finished with an eight-over-par round of 79.
Spencer finished the tournament with a two-day total of 154, putting him in a tie for 23rd place in the final standings, 13 strokes behind tournament winner Mark Lawrence Jr. of Mills Godwin High School of Richmond.
Dillon Puryear, who also represented Halifax County High School in the state tournament, carded rounds of 88 and 83, giving him a two-day total of 171. That put Puryear in a tie for 59th place in the field of 69 golfers that competed for individual honors.
Lawrence won the tournament, edging Thomas Dale High School’s Clark Griffin on the first hole of a playoff.
Langley High School of McLean won the state team title.
State Group AAA Tournament Results
• Langley (298-295-593): Matt DiSalvo 70, Chris Brugge 72, Edric Wung 76, Chad Deese 77
• Chantilly (306-296-602): Tim Harwick 72, Juhee Bae 74, Steve Aanstoos 75, Mike Sciorra 75
• James River (303-306-609): Jason Park 75, Matt Reynolds 75, Dawson Hobbs 76, Taylor Stagg 80
• Deep Run (309-301-610): Chris O’Neill 69, Mikey Cantor 77, Danny Pedrazi 77, Bryan Kopsick 78
• Battlefield (308-302-610): P.J. Leonard 71, Doc Schulte 76, Karishma Thiagaraj 76, Thomas Fricke 79
• Kellam (311-310-621): Alex Lloyd 74, Bryce Cope 76, Henry Reaume 79, Derek Budd 81
• First Colonial (324-317-641): Brian Davidson 75, Austin Morin 79, Clay Frizzel 79, Ach Naqvi 84
• Mountain View (324-317-641): Mason Stutler 74, Tanner Ott 77, Will Schossow 82, Nate Trepatschko 84
• Top individuals (*-won playoff on first hole): *-Mark Lawrence Jr. (Mills Godwin) 70-71-141, Clark Griffin (Thomas Dale) 70-71-141, Chris O’Neill (Deep Run) 74-69-145, Matt DiSalvo (Langley) 74-70-144, , John Dozier (Mills Godwin) 75-71-146; P.J. Leonard (Battlefield) 76-71-147, Alex Lloyd (Kellam) 73-74-147, Jason Park (James River) 72-75-147, Matt Ashley (Stone Bridge) 78-70-148, Chris Brugge (Langley) 77-72-149, Mike Sciorra 75-75-150, Will Byrne (Langley) 73-78-151
• Medalists: Lawrence, Clark, O’Neill, DiSalvo, Dozier, Park, Lloyd, Leonard
• Hole in one: Bryan Kopsick, Deep Run, 6-iron, No. 11, 164 yards