- Last Updated on 12:22 PM 04/23/12
- BY Joe Chandler
A misdemeanor assault and battery charge against former NASCAR Whelen All-American Series National Champion and South Boston Speedway NASCAR track champion Peyton Sellers is on the path toward being dismissed. According to Sellers’ brother, H.C. Sellers, an agreement was reached earlier this week between the alleged victim and Peyton Sellers to have the charge dropped.
Halifax County Assistant Commonwealth Attorney Michael Freshour said yesterday the paperwork on the case has not yet been processed through Halifax County General District Court.
Freshour noted a provision is in the state code that allows the charge to be dropped if an agreement is reached between the two parties, and court costs are paid.
Halifax County Sheriff’s Deputy Stanley Britton was the arresting officer in the case.
Britton was involved in an on-duty shooting incident Sunday in which a suspect allegedly fired on him and stole his police cruiser. The delay in the processing of the paperwork is likely linked to the continuing investigation of that incident as well as other matters, Freshour said.
Halifax County Sheriff’s Office Investigator J.D. Clay said yesterday nothing new has surfaced with regard to the incident Saturday at South Boston Speedway.
Clay was involved in the investigation of the incident involving Britton and has been occupied with an ongoing murder trial in Halifax County Circuit Court this week. As a result, he has not been able to complete the investigation.
On Tuesday, NASCAR officials suspended Late Model Stock Car driver Lee Pulliam of Semora, N.C., Terry Powell, a member of Pulliam’s team, and Sellers indefinitely and levied heavy fines.
Sellers and Pulliam indicated they were going to appeal the suspensions.
NASCAR officials temporarily lifted the suspension against Sellers, allowing Sellers to work with the Sellers Racing team this weekend. Sellers Racing is fielding a truck for veteran NASCAR driver Elliott Sadler in Saturday’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Martinsville Speedway.
Pulliam was found in violation of Section 12-1 of the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series rulebook (actions detrimental to stock car racing, hitting another competitor’s car after the race ended) and fined $1,000.
Sellers, who was serving as crew chief for 15-year-old Austin Self, was cited for violating Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing), 12-4D (involved in an altercation with a track official) and section 12-4F (involved in an altercation with a competitor on pit road). He was fined $750.
Pulliam said he is going to appeal the penalty levied against him.
“I’m going to appeal the decision because of my love for the sport,” Pulliam said.
“It’s my life. It’s the only thing I know. If they take the racing away from me, they will have just pretty much taken my life and my passion away from my body. I live it, breathe it. It’s just a shame that two talented drivers and a great crew member lost their licenses over this situation.”
The Semora, N.C. resident apologized for spinning Philip Morris and ramming his car head-on into the car driven by Morris after Saturday’s NASCAR Whelen Late Model 300 Presented By Danville Toyota at South Boston Speedway, a race Morris won.
“I regret what happened after the race,” Pulliam said.
“I apologize to my sponsors and fans for the situation. I appreciate each of them. I’ve got a lot of support from all of my sponsors and a lot of my fans. We’re not happy with everything that happened during the year, but I regret the things that happened after the race.
“It (the incident) was the culmination of events that happened this year and the year before,” he added.
“I finally got pushed to the breaking point. It (the suspension) is a tough way to learn a lesson, but it’s definitely a lesson learned. I look forward to doing everything I can to get back into NASCAR and to show them that I have learned my lesson and that it won’t happen anymore.”