- Last Updated on 12:22 PM 04/23/12
- BY Doug Ford
The Halifax County High School girl’s tennis team swept past William Fleming 9-0 Monday at home to win its first district match of the season.
The Comets won each singles match and each doubles match in straight sets, with no one losing more than three games in two sets, according to Comets Head Coach Greg Donner.
Monica Puckett won at number one singles Shania DeJarnett won at number two singles, both losing only one game, and the duo joined forces to win at number one doubles.
Dria Brandon, Baylee Snead and Lexi Reaves won in straight sets at numbers three through five singles, with Brandon and Snead not losing a game and Reaves dropping only two games in two sets.
Halifax County finished the match with a win by Shanique Osbourne and Alyssa Keats at number two doubles. The Comets won by default at number six singles and number three doubles.
“We are coming off a weekend at the Heritage Invitational Tournament where we got in some very good matches,” commented Donner.
“I think the added competition was good for the players,” he added.
“The Comets showed strength in playing Fleming. Hopefully, the team will continue to show progress in the more difficult portion of the season starting with Friday’s match, when they play host to Franklin County.”
Halifax County 9 William Fleming 0
1. Monica Puckett (HC) def. Yenifer Portelles (WF) 6-0, 6-1
2. Shania DeJarnette (HC) def. Capri Guy (WF) 6-0, 6-1
3. Dria Brandon (HC) def. Antoinette McBride (WF) 6-0, 6-0
4. Baylee Snead (HC) def. Kiana Bell (WF) 6-0, 6-0
5. Lexi Reaves (HC) def. Kim Thai (WF) 6-1, 6-2
1. Puckett/DeJarnette (HC) def. Portelles/Gray (WF) 6-1, 6-0
2. Osbourne/Keats (HC) def. Bell/McBride (WF) 6-2, 6-1