- Last Updated on 12:22 PM 04/23/12
- BY Doug Ford
The Halifax County High School boys tennis team enters a crucial week of the season with momentum after a 9-0 win at home Friday over William Fleming.
Each member of the singles and doubles ladder won in straight sets, except the number three doubles team of Sam Gregory and Christian Roach, who were taken to a tie-break by their William Fleming opponents before emerging with the win.
Friday’s win should give his team momentum heading into this week, where the Comets play tough matches against Randolph-Henry and Franklin County before competing at the annual Heritage Invitational, according to Head Coach David Riddle.
“We were able to have everyone on the team play in ladder matches today, and I was pleased that everyone picked up a win,” said Riddle.
“We talk about total team effort a lot, and today certainly was one of them. Several of the players were playing in their first match that counted today, and they handled the situation very well.”
The Comets are regaining momentum and confidence for the stretch run of the season after the loss to district leader Patrick Henry last Tuesday, Riddle added.
“This was good for the team coming off the loss the PH on Tuesday,” he noted.
“We have a big week coming up with Randolph-Henry, who we have defeated in close matches in both a scrimmage and regular season, Franklin County who we lost to the previous time and the Heritage Invitational this weekend.
“Hopefully this will give us momentum going into that.”
Halifax County 9
William Fleming 0
1. Vatsal Lal (HC) def. Javonte McNear (WF) 6-1, 6-4
2. Gannon Griffin (HC) def. Oscar Otanez (WF) 6-0, 6-0
3. Michael Good (HC) def. Will Strickland (WF) 6-0, 6-0
4. Roger Smith (HC) def. Danny Barnett (WF) 6-1, 6-0
5. Jonathan Thomas (HC) def. Ed Starkey (WF) 6-0, 6-0
6. Andrew Hatcher (HC) def. Cesco Paradiso (WF) 6-0, 6-1
1. Lal/Griffin (HC) def. McNear/Otanez (WF) 6-0, 6-1
2. Forrest Nunn/Brad Booth (HC) def. Strickland/Starkey (WF) 6-0, 6-0
3. Sam Gregory/Christian Roach (HC) def. Barnett/Paradiso (WF) 6-1, 4-6, (10-7)