- SPECIAL EDUCATION ADVISORY COMMITTEE FOR THE HALIFAX COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS: The committee will hold its next meeting at 5:30 p.m. on Monday. The meeting will be held virtually. To participate, email Martha Brizendine at email@example.com for information. The public is invited to attend.
- BOARD OF DIRECTORS FOR SOUTHSIDE BEHAVIORAL HEALTH: The board will meet in open session at 1 p.m. on Tuesday at the administration building located at 143 Industrial Parkway in Clarksville. The public is welcome to attend. Public comments will be taken at the start of the meeting. COVID-19 screening will take place at the door.
- SENIOR CITIZEN APPRECIATION PROGRAM: TJM Community Center at 1011 Springs School Road, South Boston, will have a Senior Citizen Appreciation Program from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday. Janet Durham, a nurse practitioner from Sentara Volens Family Practice will present health educational information. She specializes in diabetes management. Afterward ,there will be lunch, games and more.
- HALIFAX COUNTY 4-H CAMP 2022: The camp will be held July 25 - 29. Kick off registration will be held at the Halifax Extension Office from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday. Scholarship opportunities are available. Contact the Halifax Extension Office at 476-2147 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- STEW SALE: The Banister Convention and board of directors are planning a stew sale at the Heritage House on Saturday. Stew will be ready at 11 a.m. Call 434-476-7472 or 572-6224 to pre-order. All proceeds are for Banister Residential Care Facility a non-profit organization.
- THE RJ OLIVER MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP: The RJ Oliver Memorial Scholarship group will host a car wash from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at Advance Auto at Hupp’s Mill Plaza in South Boston, for $8 for cars and $12 for trucks.
- NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER: The local observance of the National Day of Prayer will take place at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 5, at the Halifax County High School stadium. In the event of rain, the event will be moved into the auditorium. Guest speaker will be Jim “The Rookie” Morris. The Cinderella story of Jim Morris serves as testimony to the power of dreams and their ability to inspire and transform human life. Jim Morris’ meteoric rise from 35-year-old high school teacher to flame-throwing major league pitcher in three months made cinematic history with the release of “The Rookie” starring Dennis Quaid. Today Jim Morris lives with his family near San Antonio and travels the world as America’s foremost inspirational and motivational speaker. His story has become an inspiration to anyone interested in living his or her dreams. The public is encouraged to attend this event that is scheduled to last one hour and 15 minutes. Admission is free, and refreshments will be available.
- FREE BASIC DRAWING CLASSES: The classes are being offered for active, older adults at the YMCA South Boston/Halifax County. The next class will begin at 11:45 a.m. on Thursday, May 5. No membership required. No experience necessary. All skill levels are welcomed. Registration is required. Call 434-572-8909. Classes are provided by the YMCA South Boston/ Halifax County and the Parsons-Bruce Art Association.
- FUNDRAISER SCHOLARSHIP: The family of Jordan Ross, the Halifax County High School senior killed in a tragic car crash in September 2021, invites the public to a fundraiser scholarship basketball game featuring the Comets and local community members at 6 p.m. Friday, May 6, at Halifax County High School. This event will honor Ross’ memory by taking this opportunity to promote safe driving in the community, as well as raise funds to help a Halifax County High School 2022 Comet graduate further their education at a two- or four-year college or university. There will be live music from DJ Fade, a performance from the Essence of Movement Dance Team, a half-court basketball contest, items to be raffled off by local businesses, concession items for purchase and the winner of the “Safe Driving” art contest will be announced. Tickets are $5 per person. Send donations to The Jordan Ross Scholarship Fund at Halifax County Community FCU, 1176 Huell Matthews Highway, South Boston, VA 24592 or contact Ulisa Caddle at 434-572-7076 for information.
- DAN RIVER COMMUNITY RURITAN BARBECUE DINNER: The Ruritan Club will have a barbecue dinner at the club on Shady Lane from 4 until 6 p.m. Saturday, May 7. Plates will include barbecue, baked beans, slaw, roll, dessert and drink for $8. Barbecue by the pound also will be available for $8 a pound. For pre-orders, contact 446-6739, 272-0747, 575-4410, 579-2152, 579-7321 or any Ruritan member.
- MASTER GARDENER PLANT SALE: The Southside Master Gardener Association will hold its annual plant sale from 7:30 a.m. to noon Saturday, May 7, at the Halifax Extension Office parking lot at 171 S. Main Street in Halifax. All types of plants will be for sale including herbs, vegetables, annuals, perennials, shrubs and trees. Handmade garden crafts also will be available. Bring small hand tools for sharpening. There will also be a bake sale. For more info visit www.ssmga.org or call 434-476-2147, option 0.
- RETIRED TEACHERS TO MEET: The Halifax County Retired Teachers Association will have its spring meeting at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, May 11, at Roma’s Restaurant. All retired teachers and school personnel are invited.
- FOOD GIVEAWAY PROGRAM: The monthly drive-thru food giveaway program sponsored by Care in the Community for the residents of Halifax County held at the L.E. Coleman African-American Museum, 3011 Mountain Road in Halifax is temporarily suspended until further notice. For more information contact the Southside Outreach Group at 434-572-9556.
- VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: Serving Hope Food Pantry is looking for volunteers to assist with the USDA food truck delivery on the first Monday of every month from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. If interested, the pantry is located at 1011 South of Dan School Road, Cluster Springs. For additional information, call 434-404-7118.
- LEGION MEETINGS: American Legion Auxiliary Unit 99 monthly meetings will be held on the second Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m. at the American Legion Post 99. Call 434-517-1727 for more information.
- FREE FOOD: Serving Hope Food Pantry will have a USDA Distribution the second Monday of every month, from noon until 3 p.m. The pantry is located at 1011 South of Dan School Road in Cluster Springs. For more information, call Tri-County Community Action Agency at 434-404-3455.
- JANE JONES FOOD PANTRY: The 2022 food pantry dates are: Wednesday, May 18, June 15, July 20, Aug. 17, Sept. 21, Oct. 19, Nov. 16 and Dec. 21.
- GOOD SAMARITAN MINISTRIES: The Good Samaritan Ministries, 815 N. Main St., South Boston, located at the rear of First Baptist Church, has emergency food and a clothing ministry for the residents of Halifax County. New operation hours are 10 a.m. until noon Monday, Wednesday and Friday. An individual or family may receive emergency food once every three months. Call 572-9242 for a clothing appointment.
- HALIFAX COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY OPENS RESEARCH LIBRARY: The society’s research library is now open every Thursday, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Patrons may park behind the house located at 110 Mountain Road, Halifax, and enter from the back door or walk around to the front door. For questions, call 434-579-0083 or email email@example.com
- SEEKING CLASSMATES: The Halifax County Senior High School class of 1972 is seeking classmates to participate in its 50th class reunion to be held in June. Send email and/or mailing address to James J. Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 1803 Albert Court, Bowie, MD 20721.
- FOOD AND CLOTHING: The Good Samaritan, located at 1145 Tobacco Road, Nathalie, offers free food and clothing Wednesdays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. until noon. No appointment is necessary. Clients must show an ID and may visit The Good Samaritan once a month. Clothing is available in all sizes for men, women, children and infants. Shoes, belts and purses are available, as well. Included in the food giveaway are prepackaged bags of canned meats and vegetables, grains, fruits and powdered milk.
- SOUTH BOSTON ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS: South Boston Alcoholics Anonymous meetings are all in-person Monday night at 7 p.m. (AA literature/book study.) Closed meeting is at Trinity Episcopal Church, 515 Yancey Street, South Boston – Wednesday and Friday at noon. Open meeting – anyone can attend. First Presbyterian Church, 800 North Main Street, South Boston – Thursday night at 8 p.m. – same church as the noon meetings. Any questions, call the district hotline 434-799-4111.
- HALIFAX ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS: Halifax Alcoholics Anonymous meetings are in person (hybrid) and online at St. John’s Episcopal Church, 197 Mountain Road, Halifax. Masking and social distancing guidelines are honored. The in-person (hybrid is in-person and Zoom) meeting is held on Saturdays at noon (AA Literature/Book Study). 7:30 a.m. online meetings are held Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings. These open meetings can be attended via phone or using the Zoom platform. For access to in-person and online meetings, call the district hotline 434 799 4111 or email HalifaxWeCovery@gmail.com.