- LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES: The August meeting of the library board of trustees will be held at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at the South Boston Public Library.
- THE HALIFAX / SOUTH BOSTON NAACP BRANCH, UNIT-7074: Unit 7074 will meet at Post 99 at 6 p.m. following CDC protocols with masks and social distancing.
- STAUNTON RIVER STATE PARK EVENTS: Introduction to Archery from 9 to 10 a.m. Rock Painting from 1 to 2 p.m. Coloring With Nature from 3 to 4 p.m. Contact the park visitor’s center at 434-572-4623 or go to the website www.virginiastateparks.gov to sign up for programs.
- STAUNTON RIVER STATE PARK EVENTS: Introduction to Archery from 9 to 10 a.m. Rock Painting from 1 to 2 p.m. Coloring with Nature from 3 to 4 p.m. Contact the park visitor’s center at 434-572-4623 or go to the website www.virginiastateparks.gov to sign up for programs.
- STAUNTON RIVER STATE PARK EVENTS: Constellation Creations from 3 to 4 p.m. Wagon Ride Adventure from 5 to 6 p.m. Campfire Coffee from 8 to 9 p.m. Contact the park visitor’s center at 434-572-4623 or go to the website www.virginiastateparks.gov to sign up for programs.
- WALLER REUNION: Families of Evan and Casandra Waller will have a family reunion on Saturday, Aug. 13, at Clover Bottom Baptist Church, 7042 Stage Coach Road, Nathalie. Lunch will be at 1 p.m. Bring a covered dish.
- PERENNIAL DISPLAY: The special focus for the Second Saturday at the Halifax Farmers Market on Aug. 13 will be perennial care. The Virginia Cooperative Extension Southside Master Gardeners will be at the market from 8 to 11 a.m. with a special demonstration at 9:30 a.m. on dividing perennials. Master Gardeners will be available to answer all gardening questions. For more information, visit www.ssmga.org or call the Halifax Extension Office at 434-830-3383.
- STAUNTON RIVER STATE PARK EVENTS: Fishing With Friends from 8 a.m. to noon. Pine Cone Bird Feeders from 2 to 3 p.m. Twin Rivers Canoe Adventure from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Contact the park visitor’s center at 434-572-4623 or go to the website www.virginiastateparks.gov to sign up for programs.
- GENERATION NEXT: Residents are invited to a two-day Generation NEXT workshop to learn about preparing to transfer land provided by the Virginia Department of Forestry. It will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, Aug. 26-27, at Factory Street Brewing Co. in South Boston. A fee of $80 covers meals and workshop supplies. Applications are available at the Halifax Extension Office at 171 S. Main St. in Halifax. For more information, contact Jason Fisher at 434-476-2147.
- THE APPRECIATION QUILT GROUP: The group will meet from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 27, at the First Baptist Church Fellowship Hall, 815 N. Main St., South Boston. The group makes throw size quilts for veterans in appreciation of their service to our country. New volunteers always welcome, no experience necessary. More information, email email@example.com or phone 540-272-9169.
- VENDORS SOUGHT: North Halifax Volunteer Fire Department’s annual fundraising Marathon will be held Saturday, Sept. 10. Anyone interested in being a vendor may call 434-222-8509. There are 10x10 spaces available for $20 for the entire day.
- TRUCKERS FOR HOPE/WALK FOR HOPE: Plans are underway the Truckers for Hope parade. Festivities will begin at noon at Constitution Square in South Boston. Trucks will line up at the Southern Virginia Higher Education Center’s parking lot and the parade will begin at 3 p.m. rolling through downtown South Boston and back to the SVHEC. There will be children’s activities including face painting and inflatables, a silent auction 50/50 drawing and food trucks will be on-site. Registration for the Walk for Hope starts at 4 p.m. and the survivors walk will begin at 5 p.m. at Constitution Square in South Boston. For more information, contact Dee Gregory at 434-432-8127 or Allison Christian at 434-476-1300.
- THE HALIFAX COUNTY CLASS OF 1986/87 REUNION: The class of 1986/87 is having a reunion from 5 to 11 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 17, at Sunnyview 1894 in Cluster Springs. For more information, contact Stacey Long at 434-517-1543 or join the Halifax County Class of 1986 Facebook page.
- TJM COMMUNITY CENTER ONE ACT PLAY: Coming to the TJM Community Center on Sept. 23-25 is a one-act play entitled “The Four Freshmen” based on the 1960 event where four young men non-violently defied the Jim Crow Law of segregated lunch counters. Tickets are available at the TJM Community Center and L.E. Coleman African-American Museum. For event information, call 434-441-6515 or 434-579-2821. All proceeds will benefit the TJM Community Center, and the scholarship fund of the L.E. Coleman African-American Museum.
- HCHS CLASS OF 1997 CLASS REUNION: The class reunion for HCHS Class of 1997 is scheduled for Oct. 7 and 8. Further details will be forthcoming.
- POETRY CLUB: The Washington Coleman Community Center poetry club meets the second Tuesday of each month at the Washington Coleman Community Center library at 6:30 p.m.
- BRUCE-WALKER AMERICAN LEGION POST 99 MEETING: The American Legion Post 99 meets the second Monday of the month at 7 p.m. Oldies dance is held the third Friday of each month at 9 p.m.
- LEGION MEETINGS: American Legion Auxiliary Unit 99 monthly meetings will be held on the second Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m. at the American Legion Post 99. Call 434-517-1727 for more information.
- FREE FOOD: Serving Hope Food Pantry will have a USDA Distribution the second Monday of every month, from noon until 3 p.m. The pantry is located at 1011 South of Dan School Road in Cluster Springs. For more information, call Tri-County Community Action Agency at 434-404-3455.
- JANE JONES FOOD PANTRY: The 2022 food pantry dates are Aug. 17, Sept. 21, Oct. 19, Nov. 16 and Dec. 21.
- GOOD SAMARITAN MINISTRIES – SOUTH BOSTON: The Good Samaritan Ministries, 815 N. Main St., South Boston, located at the rear of First Baptist Church, has emergency food and a clothing ministry for the residents of Halifax County. New operation hours are 10 a.m. until noon Monday, Wednesday and Friday. An individual or family may receive emergency food once every three months. Call 572-9242 for a clothing appointment. If you would like to volunteer in this ministry, call 572-9242 and leave your name and telephone number.
- GOOD SAMARITAN MINISTRIES – REPUBLICAN GROVE: Located at 1145 Tobacco Road, Nathalie. Food and clothing – Wednesday and Saturday from 10 a.m. until noon. No appointment is needed, but client must show and I.D. and may visit once a month. Clothing is available in all sizes for men, women, children and infants. Shoes, belts, and purses are available. There is a need for volunteers at Republican Grove. To volunteer at the Republican Grove location, call 434-479-2176.
- HALIFAX COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY OPENS RESEARCH LIBRARY: The society’s research library is now open every Thursday, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Patrons may park behind the house located at 110 Mountain Road, Halifax, and enter from the back door or walk around to the front door. For questions, call 434-579-0083 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- FOOD AND CLOTHING: The Good Samaritan, located at 1145 Tobacco Road, Nathalie, offers free food and clothing Wednesdays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. until noon. No appointment is necessary. Clients must show an ID and may visit The Good Samaritan once a month. Clothing is available in all sizes for men, women, children and infants. Shoes, belts and purses are available, as well. Included in the food giveaway are prepackaged bags of canned meats and vegetables, grains, fruits and powdered milk.
- SOUTH BOSTON ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS: South Boston Alcoholics Anonymous meetings are all in-person Monday night at 8 p.m. (AA literature/book study.) Closed meeting is at Trinity Episcopal Church, 515 Yancey Street, South Boston – Wednesday and Friday at noon. Open meeting – anyone can attend. First Presbyterian Church, 800 North Main Street, South Boston – Thursday night at 8 p.m. – same church as the noon meetings. Any questions, call the district hotline 434-799-4111.
- HALIFAX ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS: Halifax Alcoholics Anonymous meetings are in person and online at St. John’s Episcopal Church, 197 Mountain Road, Halifax. Masking and social distancing guidelines are honored when necessary. The in-person meeting is held Saturdays at moon (AA Literature/Book Study). 7:30 a.m. online meetings are held Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings. These open meetings can be attended via phone or using the Zoom platform. For access to in person and online meetings, call the district hotline 434 799 4111.
- SENIOR DANCE: at 360 every Saturday from 7-10 p.m. 2221 James D. Hagood Hwy. Southern Class band will be here July 30. The Travellers band will be here Aug. 6.