- ARCHERY CAMP: Archery camp will be on the front lawn of South Boston Recreation Center, 1620 Jeffress Blvd. from 9 a.m. to noon Monday-Friday. Learn the fundamentals of bow shooting. All equipment is provided and every age group is invited to attend. Prizes awarded to the best performances team and individuals. The event will be conducted by Mary Douglas, Ruth Brown and Karen Taylor. For more information, call 434-575-4230 or 434-446-1802.
- THE HALIFAX/SOUTH BOSTON BRANCH, UNIT-7074: Unit 7074 will meet at Post 99 at 6 p.m. for the Tuesday regular meeting. Attendees are asked to follow the CDC protocol with mask and social distancing.
- EXPLORERS’ CLUB: Washington Coleman Community Center will host Explorers’ Club, a supervised monthly meetings for youths, at 6 p.m. Thursday. Club meetings will feature topics for youth of all ages.
- COPS & BOBBERS FISHING DAY CAMP: Halifax 4-H will host Cops & Bobbers: Fishing Day Camp on Saturday. The group is partnering with Mecklenburg County 4-H along with local law enforcement, for a day full of fun and fishing. This event is open to all youth ages 7-13, and families are invited to stay and also participate in the fun. Lunch will be provided, and fishing gear is available to borrow if needed. To register, go to https://forms.gle/YfUPNbkKvFYwARBS6 or call the Halifax Extension Office. Pre-registration is strongly encouraged so they are able to provide enough food and equipment for all. Registration is due by July 12. For questions, contact the Halifax Extension Office at (434) 476-2147 or email@example.com.
- SOUTH BOSTON TRUCK AND TRACTOR PULL: The Turbeville Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department will present the annual South Boston Truck & Tractor Pull on Saturday, July 23, at the Halifax County Fairgrounds. Gates will open at 5 p.m. with the pull starting at 7 p.m. Concessions will be available. Admission will be $15 for ages 13 and up., $5 for ages 6 to 12 and ages 5 and under will be admitted free. For more information, contact Matt Gosney at 434-579-5370.
- SUBSTANCE ABUSE PREVENTION BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT: The tournament will be at the South Boston Recreation Center July 30 and July 31 for girls and boys ages 13 – 15 (as of Sept. 30, 2022). A mandatory meeting with guest speakers will be held at 6 p.m. on Friday, July 29, at Washington Coleman Community Center to be eligible for the tournament. Everyone must pre-register. For more information, call 34-575-4230 or 434-446-1802.
- WALLER REUNION: Families of Evan and Casandra Waller will have a family reunion on Saturday, Aug. 13, at Clover Bottom Baptist Church, 7042 Stage Coach Road, Nathalie. Lunch will be at 1 p.m. Bring a covered dish.
- THE HALIFAX COUNTY CLASS OF 1986/87 REUNION: he class of 1986/87 is having a reunion from 5 to 11 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 17, at Sunnyview 1894 in Cluster Springs. For more information, contact Stacey Long at 434-517-1543 or join the Halifax County Class of 1986 Facebook page.
- VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: Serving Hope Food Pantry is looking for volunteers to assist with the USDA food truck delivery on the first Monday of every month from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. If interested, the pantry is located at 1011 South of Dan School Road, Cluster Springs. For additional information, call 434-404-7118.
- POETRY CLUB: The Washington Coleman Community Center poetry club meets the second Tuesday of each month at the Washington Coleman Community Center library at 6:30 p.m.
- MOVIE NIGHT: The Washington Coleman Community Center will have a movie night Thursday and July 21. Admission is free and drinks and popcorn will be provided.
- BRUCE-WALKER AMERICAN LEGION POST 99 MEETING: The American Legion Post 99 meets the second Monday of the month at 7 p.m. Oldies dance is held the third Friday of each month at 9 p.m.
- LEGION MEETINGS: American Legion Auxiliary Unit 99 monthly meetings will be held on the second Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m. at the American Legion Post 99. Call 434-517-1727 for more information.
- FREE FOOD: Serving Hope Food Pantry will have a USDA Distribution the second Monday of every month, from noon until 3 p.m. The pantry is located at 1011 South of Dan School Road in Cluster Springs. For more information, call Tri-County Community Action Agency at 434-404-3455.
- JANE JONES FOOD PANTRY: The 2022 food pantry dates are July 20, Aug. 17, Sept. 21, Oct. 19, Nov. 16 and Dec. 21.
- GOOD SAMARITAN MINISTRIES: The Good Samaritan Ministries, 815 N. Main St., South Boston, located at the rear of First Baptist Church, has emergency food and a clothing ministry for the residents of Halifax County. New operation hours are 10 a.m. until noon Monday, Wednesday and Friday. An individual or family may receive emergency food once every three months. Call 572-9242 for a clothing appointment.
- HALIFAX COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY OPENS RESEARCH LIBRARY: The society’s research library is now open every Thursday, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Patrons may park behind the house located at 110 Mountain Road, Halifax, and enter from the back door or walk around to the front door. For questions, call 434-579-0083 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- FOOD AND CLOTHING: The Good Samaritan, located at 1145 Tobacco Road, Nathalie, offers free food and clothing Wednesdays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. until noon. No appointment is necessary. Clients must show an ID and may visit The Good Samaritan once a month. Clothing is available in all sizes for men, women, children and infants. Shoes, belts and purses are available, as well. Included in the food giveaway are prepackaged bags of canned meats and vegetables, grains, fruits and powdered milk.
- SOUTH BOSTON ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS: South Boston Alcoholics Anonymous meetings are all in-person Monday night at 7 p.m. (AA literature/book study.) Closed meeting is at Trinity Episcopal Church, 515 Yancey Street, South Boston – Wednesday and Friday at noon. Open meeting – anyone can attend. First Presbyterian Church, 800 North Main Street, South Boston – Thursday night at 8 p.m. – same church as the noon meetings. Any questions, call the district hotline 434-799-4111.
- HALIFAX ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEETINGS: Halifax Alcoholics Anonymous meetings are in person and online at St. John’s Episcopal Church, 197 Mountain Road, Halifax. Masking and social distancing guidelines are honored when necessary. The in-person meeting is held Saturdays at moon (AA Literature/Book Study). 7:30 a.m. online meetings are held Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings. These open meetings can be attended via phone or using the Zoom platform. For access to in person and online meetings, call the district hotline 434 799 4111.