The season of Lent begins on Ash Wednesday, Feb. 26.
The church season of Lent is a 40-day period between Ash Wednesday and Easter in which Christians practice repentance and spiritual renewal. First Presbyterian Church began hosting Lenten Luncheons in 1984 when several churches participated in the first series.
The public is invited to gather at noon in the fellowship hall of First Presbyterian Church at 800 N. Main St., South Boston, on Wednesdays between Feb. 26 and April 8.
Participants are invited to bring a bag lunch and a friend. Drinks and desserts will be provided.
A variety of pastors and lay speakers from area churches will lead devotions each week beginning at 12:30 p.m. and concluding promptly at 12:45 p.m., to enable participants to get back to work or other activities.
Schedule of speakers
• Feb. 26: The Rev. Susan Grimm, Trinity Episcopal Church
• March 4: The Rev. Ridge Cullum, Beth Car Baptist Church
• March 11: The Rev. Tim Mull, Ash Avenue Baptist Church
• March 18: The Rev. Bill Wilkins, Mt. Vernon Baptist Church
• March 25: The Rev. Garrett Bowman, First Baptist Church
• April 1: The Rev. Wayne Rickman, Main Street Methodist Church
• April 8: The Rev. Russell Lee, First Presbyterian Church