The season of Lent began on Ash Wednesday, Feb. 22.
The church season of Lent is a 40-day period between Ash Wednesday and Easter in which Christians practice repentance and spiritual renewal. First Presbyterian Church began hosting Lenten Luncheons in 1984 when several churches participated in the first series.
The public is invited to gather at noon in the fellowship hall of First Presbyterian Church at 800 N. Main St., South Boston, on Wednesdays between Feb. 22 and April 5.
Participants are invited to bring a bag lunch and a friend. Drinks and desserts will be provided.
A variety of pastors from area churches will lead the devotion each week beginning at 12:30 p.m. and concluding promptly at 12:45 p.m., to enable participants to get back to work or other activities.
- Wednesday: Rev. Bill Wilkins, Mt. Vernon Baptist Church
- March 8: Youth pastor Hunter Boyle, Hope Church
- March 15: Rev. Susan Davis, First Baptist Church
- March 22: Rev. Thad Decker, Main Street Methodist Church
- March 29: Pastor Dave Webb, Church of God
- April 5: Chaplain Laurie Fox, Sentara Hospice