The season of Lent began on Ash Wednesday, Feb. 17.
The church season of Lent is a 40-day period between Ash Wednesday and Easter in which Christians practice repentance and spiritual renewal.
First Presbyterian Church began hosting Lenten Luncheons in 1984 when several churches participated in the first series.
The public is invited to gather at noon in the fellowship hall of First Presbyterian Church at 800 North Main Street, South Boston, on Wednesdays through March 31.
Participants are invited to bring a bag lunch including drink and dessert, as no shared foods will be provided this year. Social distancing will be followed, and masks are to be worn when not eating.
A variety of pastors from area churches will lead devotions each week beginning at 12:30 p.m. and concluding promptly at 12:45 p.m., to enable participants to get back to work or other activities.
Schedule of speakers
- Wednesday, Pastor Larry Davis, Arbor Baptist Church
- March 3, Pastor Bobbie Henley, Main Street Methodist Church
- March 10, the Rev. Bill Wilkins, Mt. Vernon Baptist Church
- March 17, Pastor Dave Webb, Church of God
- March 24, the Rev. Jack Stewart, Grace Baptist Church
- March 31, Rev. Glenn Coleman, First Presbyterian Church