A former Halifax man is set to serve a six month jail sentence at home using the Home Electronic Monitoring System along with 12 months of supervised probation after being sentenced July 19 in Halifax General District Court after a bench trial for charges related to the December 2019 shooting that claimed the lives of two brothers.

Judge Darrell Puckett sentenced Andrew James Harlow to 12 months for each misdemeanor charge of accessory after the fact, but suspended all but six months.

He also ordered 12 months of supervised probation.

While on probation, Center Virginia Monitoring will be monitoring Harlow, and the courts have allowed Harlow to move to Danville where he can continue his education. Harlow was ordered to pay the fees associated with Home Electronic Monitoring.

Harlow had pleaded not guilty to his charges.

Throughout the case, Harlow’s defense attorney Paul Valois noted that Harlow had no previous criminal record, was the star pitcher for the Halifax Comets and had a scholarship to Longwood University rescinded after the 2019 shooting.

He also pointed out that Harlow is attending community college in Martinsville and wants to attend a four-year NCAA school in the fall.

Harlow originally was charged with two counts of being an accessory to murder.

The initial charges against Harlow were amended to two misdemeanor charges of accessory after the fact and eventually nol prossed.

Harlow then received a direct indictment for the misdemeanor charges of accessory after the fact and had a court date in Halifax County Circuit Court.

Judge Kimberley S. White granted a motion to move the case to Halifax General District Court and to try Harlow’s case after Amir Spencer had been sentenced.

On June 10, White sentenced Spencer to 20 years in jail for two counts of voluntary manslaughter, but suspended all but eight years.

During the incident, Spencer shot and killed 20-year-old Devonte Powell and 17-year-old Tevin Powell when they approached him threatening to fight him and brandishing a firearm, according to Halifax County Commonwealth’s Attorney Tracy Q. Martin.

The shooting occurred Dec. 7, 2019, outside of the South Boston Tobacco and Vape.

Detective Tiffaney Bratton with the South Boston Police Department noted that there was evidence to suggest that Spencer and Devonte Powell had been in physical altercations prior to this shooting.

“It is alleged that Amir and others jumped Devonte,” said Bratton.

According to a Vape Store video footage transcript that was submitted as evidence in Harlow’s case, Spencer and Harlow were inside of the Vape Store trying to make a purchase when the Powell brothers entered the store.

In the transcript, Tevin approached Harlow and Spencer, and after a heated argument, the Powell brothers and Spencer stepped outside while Harlow remained inside of the store.

Devonte Powell, 20, died at the scene. Tevin Powell was transported by helicopter to Duke Hospital, where he later died from his injuries.

Harlow and Spencer then left the scene of the crime in the Toyota Tacoma Harlow had been driving, according to police.

Bratton said police believe Harlow took Spencer to a “safe place.”

The prosecution believed that he took Spencer home.

“Police were able to quickly identify witnesses in this case which led to an identification of the suspect vehicle. Police also were also quickly able to obtain numerous videos that aided in this investigation,” said Randy Redd with the South Boston Police Department days following the shooting.

Police identified Spencer as the suspected shooter, who was 17 at the time, and he turned himself in at South Boston Police Department two hours after the shooting.

Harlow, who was 18 years old at the time of the shooting, also turned himself into South Boston police, three days after the matter.