A 40-year-old Halifax man, Stephen Scott Lovelock, will serve six years in prison for charges stemming from a high-speed police chase through South Boston on the night of June 23, 2017.

Judge Kimberley S. White sentenced Lovelock to five-year prison terms for the felony assault of law enforcement officer T. C. Spencer, the felony malicious assault of Spencer, two felony charges for possession of a Schedule I/II controlled substance and one felony charge for eluding police.

White suspended all time but one year and six months for each of the assaults. She suspended all but three years for eluding police, and she suspended all five years sentences for each of the drug possession charges.

White also sentenced Lovelock to one-year suspended terms for two felonies including one for a driver not reporting an accident and one for destruction of personal property. She sentenced him to a 12-month suspended jail term for a first offense of DWI, and she sentenced him to 30 days in jail for driving with a revoked operator’s license.

White ordered the suspended portion of Lovelock’s sentence be conditioned on his good behavior for 25 years, beginning immediately.

She ordered Lovelock to be placed on probation for three years upon his release.

She ordered Lovelock to pay $350 a month toward restitution.

She ordered Lovelock to undergo a substance abuse evaluation, and she ordered the defendant’s operator’s license be suspended for a total of two years and 90 days.

The charges against Lovelock stem from a high-speed police chase through South Boston on the night of June 23 that ended with a foot pursuit, three police vehicles being struck and the arrest of Lovelock.

The pursuit of Lovelock began at 10:15 p.m. when South Boston Police Officer Dennis Blanks Jr. observed a 2000 Chevrolet Tahoe traveling on Berry Hill Road swerving into the opposite lane of travel.

Blanks attempted to initiate a traffic stop on the vehicle on River Road after observing continued driving offenses including swerving into the opposite lane and out of the roadway to the right, according to authorities.

The vehicle initially slowed to very low speeds but did not stop. After a few moments, the vehicle accelerated and reached speeds in excess of 80 miles per hour.

According to information provided by Sgt. Blanks, the driver threw a baggie containing a powdery substance out of the window at one point.

Officer Blanks initiated sirens and continued behind the Tahoe, with the pursuit continuing onto several roads including Union Church Road, Mountain Road, Chatham Road, Swain Road and back onto Mountain Road, before turning onto Sinai Road.

During this time, deputies with the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office and additional South Boston Police officers joined in the pursuit.

The Tahoe also attempted to strike a sheriff’s office vehicle without success, before it veered into the parking lot of Sinai Elementary School, over an embankment and back onto Sinai Road.

The pursuit continued onto Green’s Folly Road and back toward the town of South Boston.

At the intersection of Green’s Folly Road and Halifax Road, the vehicle turned northbound into the southbound lane of Halifax Road before turning into the Valero Spirit Gas Station where it struck head on a Halifax County Sheriff’s Office vehicle operated by Spencer.

The Tahoe then turned off of the deputy’s car and struck another Halifax County Sheriff’s Office vehicle, this one driven by Deputy Cody G. Martin, authorities said.

At that time, the Tahoe drove back across Green’s Folly Road and into the parking lot of Green’s Folly Crossing where the driver jumped from his vehicle, while it was still in motion and ran.

The still moving Tahoe struck a third Halifax County Sheriff’s Office vehicle being driven by Deputy Hunter O. Weddle before coming to a stop.

No other occupants were in the Tahoe, authorities said.

Lovelock continued running on foot, throwing another baggie containing a powder substance while being pursued by law enforcement officials who were able to overtake him and place him under arrest.

Additional suspected illegal narcotics and drug paraphernalia were found on Lovelock’s person and in the Tahoe.

Lovelock complained of injuries and was transported to Sentara Halifax Regional Hospital by local rescue for treatment.