A Vernon Hill man, Kevin Lee Dawson, will serve two years and six months in prison after pleading guilty in Halifax County Circuit Court Monday.
Dawson pleaded guilty to a felony charge of possession of weapon/ammo, a felony charge of being a nonviolent felon in possession of a gun and a misdemeanor charge of hunting, trapping or fishing without a license.
Judge Kimberley S. White sentenced Dawson to two five-year prison sentences for the felony charges but suspended all but two years and six months conditioned on Dawson’s good behavior for 10 years.
White also ordered Dawson to pay a $50 fine for the misdemeanor charge.
She also ordered two years of supervised probation for Dawson; ordered that he remain drug free; ordered Dawson to submit to random drug screenings; and ordered Dawson pay court costs within five years.
• Angela Dawn Stowe of Kannapolis, North Carolina had a trial date set for the February court term on Monday.
She faces a felony drug charge of possession of a schedule I or II controlled substance.
• Jessica Denise Seate of South Boston plead guilty Monday to a felony charge of being a prisoner in possession of a cell phone.
Sentencing for Seate was continued to a date in the December court term.
• Spencer Watts Lyon II of Oxford, North Carolina was sentenced to a 12 month suspended sentence Monday for a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice/resisting arrest without force after pleading Nolo Contendere.
He originally faced a felony charge of providing a false statement on criminal history record information check required for the transfer of certain firearms, but the commonwealth amended the charge to the misdemeanor.
White suspended his sentence conditioned on Lyon’s good behavior for 12 months, and she ordered Lyon pay court costs within 12 months.
• Tracey Stebbins Smith of South Boston was sentenced to a two-year suspended sentence for a felony charge of obtaining a prescription by fraud after entering into a plea agreement with the commonwealth.
In accordance with the plea agreement, White sentenced Smith to two years in prison but suspended all time conditioned on Smith’s good behavior for five years.
White also ordered a year of supervised probation for Smith; ordered Smith to not be in possession or use illegal drugs; ordered Smith to submit to random drug screenings; and ordered Smith to pay court costs within two years.
• Richard White of Danville was sentenced Monday to 10 days in prison for a misdemeanor charge of driving with a suspended license, third or subsequent offense.
Judge White sentenced Richard to 30 days in prison for driving with a suspended license and 10 days in prison for failure to appear in court, but suspended all but 10 days conditioned on Richard’s good behavior for 12 months.
She also suspended Richard’s operators license for 90 days and ordered him to pay court costs within 12 months.
Another misdemeanor charge for failure to appear was recalled.
• James Clelan Massa of Farmville was sentenced to three months in prison for a felony charge of violating probation.
White revoked a previous sentence for Massa for a year and 10 months, but re-suspended all but three months.
She also ordered two years of supervised probation for Massa and ordered him to pay court costs within three years.
w Carson Griffin of Scottsburg had a trail date set for the January court term on Monday.
He faces a felony charge of being a violent sex offender who failed to register as a sex offender.
w Kevin Eugene Brown of South Boston was accepted into drug court Monday after being found in violation of probation violation.
He also faced a felony charge of shoplifting/altering price on merchandise.
White revoked his previous sentence but re-suspended all time.