A charge has been filed related to a video circulating on social media showing an assault last week, the South Boston Police Department announced Monday evening.

Authorities were notified Saturday of what they called “a disturbing social media video” of an incident that happened March 15 in the town of South Boston. Police provided no other details on the video.

“After viewing the social media post, officers immediately opened an investigation into this incident and began identifying those individuals involved,” police wrote in the release.

Numerous individuals were interviewed by South Boston officers throughout the weekend in reference to the incident.

“Investigators also began processing evidence related to this case and reviewing third party information provided to the police department,” police wrote in the release.

On Monday, police charged a 17-year-old with strangulation. The unnamed suspect is being held at a juvenile detention facility, police said.

Other charges are possible as the investigation continues.

“We are very concerned and disturbed concerning the actions of those involved in this event” South Boston Police Chief Bryan Young said in the release. “We take these cases very seriously as no one should be treated in this fashion, and no one should permit others to treat them this way either.”

South Boston Police Department Cpl. Joey Throckmorton is handing the case.