A survey sent to all Halifax County Public School teachers determined their comfort level with tools such as Google Classroom, and professional development was held via Zoom or video and question format to educate teachers on online resources.
Each student will be given a Chromebook for virtual learning, and tools expected to be used among various age groups are Google Classroom, Zoom, Google Meets, Canvas and Parent Portal.
Jeanie Hawks, director of instructional technology and division testing, provided the following tips and tricks for HCPS students and parents.
- Store in a clean and dry area.
- Carry the device with two hands.
- Do not put anything on the keyboard area to prevent accidental closing with pens/pencils/anything inside the chromebook and causing damage.
- Place the device on a clean, flat surface to work on.
- Keep the device away from pets and other potential hazards.
- No food or drinks on or around the device.
- Only use/visit the apps or sites that your teacher assigns.
- Handle with care. No banging, slamming, hitting or stacking objects on top of the device!
- Protect your password.
- Use appropriate language. No cursing, name calling or threats!
Archiving Google Classes
- Click on the Google Classroom icon at the bottom of the Chromebook screen.
- Click on the three dots beside the class name.
- Click on unenroll.
Adding a Google Class
- Click on the Google Classroom icon at the bottom of your Chromebook screen.
- Click on the + sign on the top right side.
- Click join class.
- Type in the class code given to you from the teacher.
- Click join on the top right side in blue.
- Open the lesson in Google Classroom.
- Click on one document, presentation or sheet in the lesson.
- Click on File.
- Click on make available offline.
- Once back online, the document, presentation or sheet will remain updated.
Accessing your Email
- Click on the envelope at the bottom of your Chromebook screen
- In Course Navigation, click the Modules link.
- Click the Export Course Content button.
- The course will download to your computer as a ZIP file. If you remain in the page until the download is complete, the file will download directly to your computer.
- When the export is complete, the Exported Package History page shows the most recent export.
- Open ZIP File
- Once the file has been downloaded, locate the ZIP file on your computer. Right-click the file and select Extract All (PC users).
- When the file expands, open the course folder and open the index.html file.
- The HTML file will open in your default browser. Offline downloads include all content from the course at the time of the download. You will need to download the course each time you want to view updated course content.
- View the content in the course file.
- Parents have their own Parent Portal accounts to view all their children’s information. Individual students have an account too.
- Contact your student’s school to get Parent Portal login information.
- You may login via https://halifaxva.infinitecampus.org/campus/portal/parents/halifax.jsp or use the app.