Former principal and teacher in Danville Public Schools Withers Jackson has been appointed as the assistant principal at Halifax County Middle School.
Halifax County School Board accepted the recommendation and appointed Jackson as assistant principal when they met Monday at Clays Mill Elementary School.
His salary will be $68,793.
The assistant principal position became vacant after the recent transfer of Francine Davis, assistant principal, to serve as Sinai Elementary School principal.
In other action Monday evening, the board excused a student from school attendance under the provisions of Section 22.1-254.B.1. of the Code of Virginia and extended the administrative leave of an employee from five to 10 days without pay.
The board also approved personnel and athletic reports that included the following:
• Appointment of Jennifer Redd as an instructional coach at South Boston Elementary with a salary of $55,269;
• Appointment of Brian Seate as a civics teacher at Halifax County Middle School with a salary of $42,079;
• Appointment of Kristie Waller-Brafford as a middle school SPED teacher with a salary of $40,534;
• Appointment of Cathie B. Dixon as a SPED teacher at the middle school with a salary of $42,720;
• Appointment of Mary Knupp as a lead SPED teacher at Cluster Springs Elementary School;
• Appointment of Rose M. Jones as a lead SPED teacher at the middle school;
• Appointment of Sekethia Walton as an art teacher at the high school with a salary of $40,416;
• Resignation of South Boston Elementary SPED teacher Kadisha Elam effective Aug. 30;
• Resignation of middle school history teacher Tina H. Logan effective Sept. 3;
• Appointment of Amanda Chandler as a Title I paraprofessional at Sydnor Jennings Elementary with a salary of $19,141;
• Appointment of Sijourney Gayles as a pre-k paraprofessional at Sinai Elementary with a salary of $19,141;
• Appointment of Rosia A. Garner as a custodian at South Boston Elementary;
• Appointment of Rock Toone as a custodian at South Boston Elementary with a salary of $19,685;
• Appointment of Kimberly Chandler as a SPED paraprofessional with a salary of $13,952;
• Resignation of South Boston Elementary custodian effective Aug. 30;
• Appointment of Myra Brandon, Amber Carrington, Amanda Chandler, Nekeecha Coleman, Tracy Danenfelser, John Daniel, Alma Edmonds, Erica Fears, Libby Fears, Barbara Gentry, Shimea Jackson, Michelle Long, Lily Martin, Lisa Morris, Tamela Owen, Matthew Rich, Jennifer Strauss, Karen Wilkins-Taylor, Desirae Wagstaff and Monet Williams as subsitute teachers;
• Appointment of Arttie C. Ferrell and Mary McIvor as substitute car drivers and/or bus aides;
• Appointment of James Holt, Lori Meadows, Warren Penick and Don Reese as trip drivers; and
• Resignation of bus driver of bus 92 Jamie Barksdale effective Sept. 6.
• Appointment of Rebecca Saunders to serve as Halifax County High School girls cross country head coach with a salary of $3,300;
• Resignation of Melanie Saunders as the high school swim coach;
• Whitney White to serve as a volunteer coach for the high school volleyball teams;
• Appointment of Ashley Logan to serve as the head sponsor for National Junior Honor Society at the middle school;
• Appointment of Tammie Ewell to serve as the assistant sponsor for the NJHS at the middle school with a salary of $1,000;
• Appointment of Wendy Hall to serve as the yearbook sponsor for the middle school yearbook with a salary of $1,600; and
• Resignation of middle school yearbook sponsor Carolyn Coleman.