Internet connections are available in the parking lot at all Halifax County Public Schools and in the back of the Mary Bethune Complex.
Any Halifax County student is welcome to visit the parking lots to access the internet and to download materials.
Team Halifax and the Halifax County Chamber of Commerce are working on a list of businesses, churches and other volunteer organizations that will offer free internet to students.
The list will be published on the HCPS website and Facebook page.
Also, distance learning resources for parents will be distributed at the Chromebook pickup sessions and meet the teacher sessions.
The resources for parents also will be posted on HCPS website and Facebook page.
Teachers plan to share information with students and parents on how to get additional technical support once school has started.
• Clays Mill Elementary: They held a drive through open house on Tuesday where they distributed Chromebooks, textbooks and/or packets. They trained any parent who needed help. The drive through took place on the sidewalk in front of the school with parents and students remaining in the vehicle. In the case of rain, they plan to conduct the drive through Thursday.
• Cluster Springs Elementary: Distance learning parent training was held on Tuesday. This training was for parents and by appointment only. An additional Chromebook and student material pickup drive thru will be held on Thursday from 12:30 to 6:15 p.m. This pickup will be held in the rear car rider circle. Virtual open house also will be held Thursday from 12:30 to 6:30 p.m. through individual sessions scheduled with the student’s homeroom teacher. If anyone has any questions, contact the school.
• Meadville Elementary: Meadville had a virtual open house video through Infinite Campus Alert System on Tuesday and a drive-through pick-up from noon to 6 p.m. on Thursday.
• Scottsburg Elementary: Scottsburg will hold a Chromebook pick up and meet the teacher for parents and students on Thursday from noon to 6 p.m.
• Sinai Elementary: Sinai Elementary will host a Chromebook distribution and meet the teacher event on Thursday from noon to 6 p.m. Parents and students will have the opportunity to drive thru to meet their teachers, pick-up the student’s Chromebook, and receive textbooks and a packet of information from the teachers. Each student also will receive a bag of school supplies donated by Dollar General.
• South Boston Elementary: South Boston Elementary held a Chromebook pick up and meet the teacher events Monday, Tuesday and on Wednesday from 12:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Kindergarteners are asked to come to the back circle, and first graders are asked to come to the front circle.
• Sydnor Jennings Elementary: Sydnor Jennings will host a Chromebook distribution and meet the teacher event on Thursday from noon until 6 p.m. This event will take place in the Sydnor Jennings’ parking lot, and parents are asked to remember social distancing guidelines. Students and parents will have the opportunity to meet their teachers, pick-up the student’s Chromebook and receive textbooks and a packet of information from the teachers.
• HCMS: The middle school had pickups Monday and Tuesday.
• HCHS: The high school had pickups Tuesday.
• South Boston Early Learning Center: A Chromebook distribution and meet the teacher event will be held on Thursday from noon to 6:30 p.m.