Families will have the chance to give their input and to ask questions about the upcoming school year at a virtual town hall meeting held Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Participants can either watch the live stream on the Halifax County Public School’s Facebook page or view via Zoom by computer or phone.

“I think it’s real important for families to listen to us, and I think it’s real important for us to hear concerns,” said superintendent Dr. Mark Lineburg.

This particular town hall meeting is just one of numerous that will be held, and this will be a general meeting giving the public an update on where the school system is as far as the planning stage of the 2020-2021 school year.

Previously, the school system announced they were considering a A/B school year approach that would allow for Group A to attend Mondays and Wednesdays while Group B would attend Tuesdays and Thursday. When not at school, the group be responsible for completing virtual school work.

Parents also have the option of having their child attend school completely online.

The school system also previously gave out a survey to parents to get their input on which method they preferred, their internet access and how they plan to transport their child to school, car rider or bus. Many of the parents, including many who attended a recent school board meeting, let it be known they felt students should attend school at least four days a week.

So far, a decision has not been made by the school board on how exactly the upcoming school year will look like, but they did recently set a calendar for the school year with a Sept. 8 start date.

By Monday, July 13, 3,458 parents had responded to the survey. Of those survey respondents, 68% chose the hybrid model, while the other 32% selected the distance-learning model.

While this virtual town hall will give general information, future town halls will be themed such as exceptional learning for students with disabilities or safety, according to Lineburg.

Parents should receive alerts through the school system’s alert system, and notices will be posted on the school system’s Facebook page.

To register for the Zoom meeting and to send one to two questions in advance, click on this link: https://virginiaedstrategies-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_07OTqsxiTA-S16EXzFM9tg.

“Folks will be able to ask questions, hopefully knowing we don’t have all the answers right now,” said Lineburg.

After registering, participants will receive an email with instructions for attending by computer or by phone. Questions sent in advance and those posted during the town hall will be answered live as time permits. All questions with answers, along with the video recording of the town hall, will be posted on our website and social media following the event.

“It’s gong to be impossible to meet the needs of everyone, but we’re going to do our very best,” the superintendent concluded.