A Scottsburg mother and her three children lost all of their belongings and their home at 8074 James D. Hagood Highway in an early Friday morning house fire.

According to Clover Volunteer Fire Department fire chief Jamie Davis, Alvina Green’s children were home with a cousin who was babysitting while their mother was at work, and their cousin was awoken around 2 a.m. by the smoke detector.

Their cousin was able to wake up the children and get them out the back door escaping injury, said Davis.

Halifax County Rescue was called to the scene to check the children out for smoke inhalation, said Davis, but they were not transported.

When firefighters arrived on the scene of the mobile home, “It was fully engulfed,” the fire chief said.

“Thankfully, they did have a smoke detector. It could’ve been a lot worse… its sad situation, especially right here at the holiday. They lost everything,” he added.

Clover Volunteer Fire Department responded to the blaze with two trucks and five firefighters and were assisted by three Scottsburg Volunteer Fire Department firefighters on one truck, four Halifax Volunteer Fire Department firefighters on one truck and two Triangle Volunteer Fire Department firefighters on two trucks.

They remained on the scene fighting the fire for approximately two hours.

The American Red Cross is assisting the Green family, and so is a family friend, Lisa Bruno.

She is accepting cloths, shoes, non-perishable foods and donations for the family.

Clothing needed are size 16 or large pants in women, large women shirts, size 10 women shoes, 7/8 children shirts, size two children’s shoes, 6/7children shirts, size 10 children shoes for two of the children and 5 slim shirts.

If you would like to make a cash donation, he or she can send a check or money order to Bruno at P.O. Box 84 Crystal Hill VA 24539, but make it payable to Alvina Green.