Fire

Flames engulf this structure at 1237 Lee Syd Moore Road in Scottsburg. The early Saturday morning fire displaced 14 residents.

An early Saturday morning fire destroyed an addition to a Scottsburg home, displacing 14 people.

“The main structure has some water and smoke damage. The addition is a total loss,” said Joe Allred, chief of the Scottsburg Volunteer Fire Department.

Allred said all 14 residents of the addition to the manufactured home belonging to Vivian and Herman Sydnor escaped safely. The fire chief stated a space heater overheating a circuit was determined to be the cause of the fire.

Members of the Scottsburg Volunteer Fire Department responded with three trucks to the fire at 1237 Lee Syd Moore Road at about 1:45 a.m. Saturday. Allred said there was heavy smoke coming from the addition to the manufactured home when the firefighters arrived on scene.

Members of the Clover Volunteer Fire Department and the Halifax Volunteer Fire Department assisted Scottsburg in fighting the fire.