Town of Halifax
Halifax Town Hall will be closed on Tuesday in observance of Election Day.
The town of Halifax will be picking up recycling on Friday Nov. 6 due to the modified holiday schedule.
The regular town curbside-recycling pick up will resume Wednesday, Nov. 18 as customary.
During the modified holiday schedule, town residents may take their properly prepared recyclable materials to the large bins provided at the Blue Ridge Regional Jail lower parking lot which now accepts co-mingled newspaper including mixed paper, plastic, cardboard and both aluminum and metal cans.
When recycling at the convenience center site, it is requested that recycles are placed directly into the bin with no bags so that sorting will not be necessary.
Currently, no glass is being accepted at the Blue Ridge site.
The town of Halifax Solid Waste Department will conduct its solid waste pick-up the week of Election Day on a modified schedule:
• Monday: Residents normally served on this day will have solid waste picked up.
This area includes Mountain Road, Canterbury Drive, Woodview Road, Mimosa Drive, Oak Lane, Pine Road, Ash Street, Cedar Lane, Poplar Lane, Crawford Road, Academy Street, Ballpark Loop, within corporate limits, Craddock Street, Houston Street and Main Street from Mountain Road south to the railroad tracks.
• Tuesday: Town of Halifax is closed for Election Day.
• Wednesday: Residents normally served on Tuesday will have solid waste picked up. This area includes properties along US Hwy 501 south from the railroad tracks to the corporate limits, Spencer Lane Golf Course Road, Brook Run, Cowford Road, Meadow Drive, Banister Road, Gatha’s Trail and Ballou Trail.
• Thursday: Residents normally served on this day will have solid waste picked up.
This area includes Maple Avenue, Buena Vista Drive, Park Lane, Lakeside Drive, Harding Street, Snead Lane, Cary Street, Elam Street, Hedderly Street, Jackson Street, Back Street and Main Street from Mountain Road north on US Hwy 501 and east on VA Hwy 360 to the corporate limits.
• Friday: The town of Halifax Solid Waste Department will conduct curbside recycling on this day and will resume regular weekly curbside recycling on Wednesday, Nov. 18.
Town of South Boston
Town of South Boston offices will be closed on Tuesday, Nov. 3 for Election Day.
Curbside residential refuse collection scheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 3, will be collected on Wednesday, Nov. 4.
Residential refuse collection for the remainder of that week will remain the same.
All refuse must be placed at the curb before 7 a.m.
Persons wishing more information should contact the Public Works Department at 575-4260.