Halifax Town Manager Carl Espy alerts all town of Halifax customers of holiday closings and changes in the trash collection schedule during the Christmas and New Year’s holidays.
Halifax Town Hall will be closed all day Monday and Tuesday in observance of the Christmas holiday and again on Monday, Dec. 31, and Tuesday, Jan. 1, for New Year’s.
During the modified holiday schedule, town residents may take their properly prepared recyclable materials to the large bins provided at the Blue Ridge Regional Jail lower parking lot which now accepts co-mingled newspaper (including mixed paper), plastic (#1 and #2), cardboard, cans (aluminum and metal) and mixed consumer glass (clear, green and brown).
“When recycling glass at the convenience center site, please place the glass and other accepted recyclables directly into the bin with no bags. This will keep the materials free of contaminants, so that sorting will not be necessary,” Espy said.
Normal curbside recycling will resume on Wednesday, Jan. 9.
• Monday, Dec. 24/Dec. 31: The town of Halifax will be closed for the holidays.
• Tuesday, Dec. 25/Jan. 1: The town of Halifax will be closed for the holidays.
• Wednesday, Dec. 26/Jan. 2: Residents normally served on Monday will have solid waste picked up. This area includes Mountain Road, Canterbury Drive, Woodview Road, Mimosa Drive, Oak Lane, Pine Road, Ash Street, Cedar Lane, Poplar Lane, Crawford Road, Academy Street, Ballpark Loop (within corporate limits), Craddock Street, Houston Street and Main Street (from Mountain Road south to the railroad tracks).
• Thursday, Dec. 27/Jan. 3: Residents normally served on this day will have solid waste picked up. This area includes Maple Avenue, Buena Vista Drive, Park Lane, Lakeside Drive, Harding Street, Snead Lane, Cary Street, Elam Street, Hedderly Street, Jackson Street, Back Street, Main Street (from Mountain Road north on U.S. Hwy. 501 and east on VA Hwy. 360 to the corporate limits).
• Friday, Dec. 28/Jan. 4: Residents normally served on Tuesday will have solid waste picked up. This area includes properties along U.S. Hwy. 501 south from the railroad tracks to the corporate limits, Spencer Lane, Golf Course Road, Brook Run, Cowford Road, Meadow Drive, Banister Road, Gatha’s Trail and Ballou Trail.