South Boston’s 28th Annual Harvest Festival is Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. when Main Street becomes the focus of daytime activities including arts and crafts along the street, entertainment on two stages and food around every corner.
Other activities include balloon sculpting, face, body and hair painting, sand art, magic shows, bounce houses on Seymour Drive, fire trucks and much more.
The Halifax County High School JROTC will be back once again helping children make their own scarecrow. Straw and old clothes will be available at Charles Street from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and will cost $5 if participants provide clothes, $8 if not.
Pumpkin painting will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at North Main Street hosted by the Halifax County Chamber of Commerce’s Halifax Young Professionals and Entrepreneurs (HYPE) organization.
Pumpkins will be available for sale ranging in different sizes and prices. For a small fee, paints and brushes will be provided to paint a pumpkin.
It costs $1 to paint the pumpkin, plus the cost of the pumpkin.
Those coming out for the Saturday fun should bring a camera to the North Main Street intersection for a fall photo opportunity with a backdrop of straw bales, pumpkins and scarecrows.
Marlo the Magician will be strolling the street with his magic from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Skedaddle the Clown will be strolling and making free balloon animals from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
And festivalgoers should arrive hungry because When Pigs Fly will be there with their sought-after SoBo baked potatoes, and the popular Cinn-Sational Cinnamon Rolls will be onsite as well.
Sherri’s Crab Cakes is returning with crab cake sandwiches and cream of crab soup.
Nana Karen’s Cruisin’ Kitchen will have its classic chicken and waffle sandwiches, cajun fried catfish sandwiches, a variety of wraps and more.
Freaking Squeaking BBQ will have barbecue mac and cheese with hushpuppies, barbecue sandwiches, hot dogs and fries.
Festivalgoers can look for Kono Pizza with pizza in a cone, Auntie Alice’s Kettle Corn, Kona Ice, The Taco Wagon and Ballou-Chandler with fried fish, chicken, hot dogs, bologna burgers, fries and more.
The Bylers will be back with handmade ice cream, and plenty of funnel cakes, cotton candy, candy apples and more will be available for sale.
On stage one located in Constitution Square We’ve Got Rhythm Dance Academy will perform from 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.; Nelly Zamora Jones from 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.; Wright and Rice with special guest Robyn Robbins from 11 a.m. to noon; Essence of Movement Dance Studio from noon to 12:30 p.m.; Drake Holland from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m.; and Matt Boswell, Matt Boswell Jr. and Charity Boswell from 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
On stage two located in Charles Street is High Grass Band from 10 a.m. to noon; Red Bank Revival from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.; and Virginia Carolina Band from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
The Harvest Festival is sponsored by Destination Downtown South Boston and their sponsors including Growing Sponsors - Sentara Halifax Regional Hospital, Old Dominion Electric Cooperative, Carter Bank and Trust and Dominion Energy; Nurturing Sponsor - B and B Consultants, Inc.; Seedling Sponsors - Fairfield By Marriott, ValleyStar Credit Union; and Planting Sponsor - Huber Engineered Woods.
“There will be lots of fun for the entire family. Come out and enjoy South Boston’s favorite place to celebrate the fall season,” said Tamyra Vest, executive director of Destination Downtown South Boston.
For more information, call 434-575-4209 or visit www.soboharvestfest.com.
List of Vendors
• Boxwood Manor Crafts, Donna Claypoole: wooden crafts, trash cans, chests, fern stands, book stands, crocheted necklaces and knitted scarfs
• Karin Templeton: earrings and slide sets
• Kusty’s Kreations Sandra Kustaborder: American Girl Outfits (sewn and crocheted), Barbie Outfits (crocheted), crocheted baby blanket (with the words “Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep”)
• Laura Crowe: handcrafted jewelry
• King and Lathan Crafts, Emma King: crocket items, door and wall cloth panels, plaques, candles, ornaments, origami flowers, stained glass, scarves, mosaic trays and coasters facebook.com/thecraftroomdurham
• Once Upon a Time Soaps, Sandra Ferri: handmade soaps, sliced logs made into animals, Christmas decorations facebook.com/Once-upon-a-time-soap-376873468996083
• Skin Lovers Soap LLC, Mitzi Jackson: handmade soaps, lotions, body butter facebook.com/mitzi.jackson.3
• Designs by Amy J., Amy J. Hailey: handmade bead and faux leather earrings, bracelets and sweater clips facebook.com/Amy-Js-Designs-142328015850785
• Day Three Bath and Body/Day Three Dips, Joy Davis: we handcraft all natural goats milk soaps, butter soaps, organic skincare products (oils, natural perfumes, scrubs, lip balm, lotions). Day Three Dips company creates all natural dip mixes for healthy, tasty eating
• N’Her Healing, Essence Rome: essential oil rollers facebook.com/NherHealing
• Sandy Elliott: floral wreaths, floral arrangements
• Funny Face, Colette Lollis: face, hair and body painting
• Dee’s Creatyons, Delois Slith: wreaths, swags and embroidery T-shirts
• The Andrew Gail Studio, Wanda Reaves: hand painted wine bottles with lights and painting, facebook.com/The-Andrew-Gail-Studio
• Funmakers, Scotty Smith: aqua art, sand art, marshmallow shooters, halos and marionettes
• Zombees Honey of North Carolina, Whitney Barnes: honey, craft creamed honey, beeswax products, soaps, gift boxes, jewelry, make and take bee related items, facebook.com/whitney.barnes.5076
• Ivy and Lace, Beverly Hutson Bryan: handmade necklaces, earrings and bracelets
• MD Designs, Julie Dyke: seasonal hand painted wood and glass items, wood burned Christmas ornaments and coasters
w Patricia’s Stems and Petals,Patricia Carter: bows, wreaths, swags
• Stone Treasures, Glenn Frischling: custom stone and gem pendants and earrings facebook.com/195771163813708/posts/please-welcome-glenn-kerin-frischling-stone-treasures-buckingham-va/2423189337738535
• Happy Hatter, Donald Moreen: baseball style caps and flags
• TLZ Distributors, Keith Jones: rainmates (air purifier), rainbow home clearing system
• Scentsy, Virginia Byrd: scented wax, warmers facebook.com/ScentsyCorner
• SeneGence, Heather Francis: SeneGence products https://seneweb.senegence.com/us
• ETC’S Tie-Dyes, William Howell: handmade tie dye clothing, personalized name rings, dream catchers, halos and puppets
• Dominion Energy, Ryan King: provide info on “How to Save” on your electric bill and energy assistances programs dominionenergy.com
• Anthem HealthKeepers Plus, Sharron Terry: information on Virginia Medicaid and Anthem HealthKeepers Plus Health Plan and giveaways mss.anthem.com/va/virginia-home.html
• Accent Silver, Michelle and John Efird: sterling silver and genuine gemstone jewelry
• Ashley Home Store, Suze Cain: sells furniture and mattresses and will be giving away promotional items such as Ashely Logo pens, bags with coupons for in-store visits ashleyfurniture.com/c/deals
• Decisions Designs, Heather Hobbs: Christian apparel and gifts including custom designed T-shirts and trucker hats and also will have Christian jewelry including bracelets and necklaces, wood signs, magnets and coasters.
• Independent Color Street Stylist, Kristina Lloyd: 100% nail polish strips colorstreet.com/kirstenlloyd
• Paparazzi Accessories, Crystal Penzer: Paparazzi jewelry
• Vacation Village Resorts, Todd White: Advertising Family Fun and the Waterpark at Massanutten Resort vacationvillageresorts.com/destinations.html
• Belk, Melanie Medley: Belk credit information belk.com
• Sentara Halifax Regional Hospital, Faith ONeil:health info, promotional giveaways, bottled waters sentara.com/halifax-southern-virginia/hospitalslocations/locations/sentara-halifax-regional-hospital.aspx
• Carter Bank and Trust, Kelsey Freitas: koosies, pens, rulers, key chains carterbankandtrust.com
• Wet Noses Dog Training, LLC, Louis Beadles: training packages and group classes facebook.com/wetnosesdogtraining
• United Healthcare Community Plan, Reginald Meadows: information about Community Plan uhcprovider.com/en/resource-library/news/info-comm-plan-providers.html?cid=none
• Eden Jewelry, Kaylyn Dotten: bracelets, Alex and An., and giveaways www.edenjewelrystores.com/Article/AboutUs
• Cricket Wireless Authorized Retailer, Veronica Vivas: promotional devices facebook.com/CricketWireless1020BillTuckHwy
• Avon Office and Training Center, Barbara Womack: Avon products facebook.com/pg/soboavonbeautyandmore/posts
• Treacie’s Jewelry, Treacie Dobbins: sterling silver jewelry, necklaces, bracelets, rings and earrings
• Simple Treasures, Cheryl Betts: Snap button jewelry and handmade necklaces, bracelets, earrings and waistband jewelry
• Cornerstone Family Chiropractic, Dr. Scott Buckle: free spinal screenings and giveaways virginiachiropractic.org/members/?id=22058404
• R C Chandler, Ricky Chandler: baseball collectibles
All Other Vendors
• Halifax County-South Boston Public Library System, Jay Stephens: library promotional items and used books for sale halifaxlibrary.org
• Halifax County Historical Society, Barbara Bass: historical books, historical miscellaneous items halifaxcountyhistoricalsociety.org
• Candlelight Ministries, Cheryl Randall: inflatable toys alignable.com/concord-va/candlelight-ministries
• Hope for Tomorrow Counseling Services, Sandra Lewandowski: Brochures for Patrick Henry Family Services and their ministries: Hope for Tomorrow Counseling Services: Hat Creek Camps, Safe Families for Children: Visions 30. Give away items: drinking cups, notepads and stress balls patrickhenry.org/services/hope-for-tomorrow
• U.S. Army Recruiting Richmond, SFC Steven Sharples: pamphlets, lanyards, mugs, water bottles, T-shirts, pop sockets recruiting.army.mil/1stbde/1obn
• South Boston Seventh-Day Adventist Church, Betty Robin: free watermelon, raffle tickets, information handouts, books and Bibles facebook.com/SouthBostonSeventhDayAdventistChurch
• First Baptist Church, Sherri Bee: information handouts, giveaways fbcsouthboston.org
• Halifax County Republican Committee, Korey Snead: political handouts and candy facebook.com/HalifaxCountyRepublicanCommittee
w Halifax County Improvement Council, Otis Vaughan: recycling information, coloring books, handouts halifaxcountyva.gov/
• Boy Scouts of America Troop #332, Michele Newcomb: scout popcorn facebook.com/pg/BSAT332MissionViejo/posts
• Recovering Hands, Kim Adams: pepper jelly, pickled peppers, apple butter, pear butter, apple pear chutney, soap, dream catchers, jewelry, brochures n business cards recoveringhands.com
• ODU Online, Sherrita Clark: pens and information about ODU online.odu.edu
• Halifax Chapter 1321 UDC, Janet Perkins: information about their organization
• The House of Prayer, Lucas Glasscock: church information facebook.com/thopclarksville
• South Boston Church of God, Dana Jones: handouts about the church and school and free bottles of water southbostoncog.com
• Halifax County Little Theatre, Kelly Ahmed: handouts for the upcoming season facebook.com/halifaxcountylittletheatre
• Halifax County Chamber of Commerce, Brandee Lloyd: information on referendum
• Tabernaculo Biblico de Restauracion, Hugo E. Alcantara: Bibles, T-shirts, snack items and goodie bags
• John Tanner For Sheriff, John Tanner: political information and give away items
• Crowder Farms, C. W. Crowder: mums facebook.com/Crowder-Farms