I received a COVID-19 test, and for me, it was as horrible as I could imagine.

I had symptoms — fever, chills, sweats, and the room was spinning, and I had been exposed to a positive case.

Let me stop now and say my test was negative. I was sick, but it wasn’t COVID-19.

As much as I dreaded having that long Q-tip swab both nostrils of my nose for several, painful seconds, that wasn’t the worst part.

The horrifying-looking nosebleed I endured immediately after wasn’t either, but it was definitely a close second.

The worst part was the fear.

It was the almost two days I waited for test results where I was scared to touch my two-year-old daughter because I was scared of giving her COVID-19.

It was wearing a mask even when it wasn’t recommended because I was scared to give it to my parents, including my father who’s had colon cancer, or my siblings.

I thought about my grandmother, who I had seen just over a week ago.

It was the constant wondering when and where I could have contracted the virus – a task that cannot be done. It needs to be assumed that it is everywhere.

They say it can take anywhere from two to 14 days for symptoms to appear after exposure. As my mind raced, I thought I could’ve picked it up from someone else who tested positive, someone asymptomatic, when I went to Myrtle Beach, or even just when I went to Food Lion to pick up a gallon of milk.

It was impossible to know when or how.

It’s all a guess in my opinion.

Everyone was worried about me. I was even told my friend feared I would die. We may have been overreacting, but it was a scary feeling. And, instead of showing that fear and anxiety, you just comfort your friend, and say everything is going to be fine.

The symptoms were subsiding anyways.

I was breathing heavy, but my fever stayed down, for the most part.

I passed out the day after my test when my fever began to rise again.

I just knew I had COVID-19. Plus, the ER staff was “98%” confident I had it.

I thought it was going to be a long week, and it was, but not because of COVID-19.

I was beyond relieved, and still somewhat scared, when I saw those results that said the virus was “not detected.”

I feel for the nurses that have had to take this test multiple times, or to anyone who has to take it once. Some say it’s not that bad, and maybe it was bad for me because I was sick, but I couldn’t wait for it to be over.

I’m just glad that it wasn’t as worse as it could’ve been.

Ashley Hodge is the editor for The Gazette-Virginian. Contact her at ahodge@gazettevirginian.com

Ashley Hodge is the editor for The Gazette-Virginian. Contact her at ahodge@gazettevirginian.com